1979 view of Albion Dry Dock 540 feet long this was the largest dock in the harbour.
This large facility adjacent to Bristol Marina is available for dry docking vessels up to 90 metres in length. A 300 tonne ship lift was on site with covered working area. James Martin Hilhouse started shipbuilding on a site close to Hotwells Road in about 1770. The creation of the Floating Harbour saw the firm move their yard to the south bank where they established their New Dockyard complete with dry-dock. In 1824 the firm was re-titled George Hilhouse & Company, and after a spell trading as Hilhouse, Hill & Company, Charles Hill took control of the company, brought his 16-year-old son (also called Charles) into the business and renamed it Charles Hill & Son in 1845.
Three years later the New Dockyard was re-titled the Albion Yard. In 1970 an announcement was made that commercial operations in Bristol City Docks were to cease and Charles Hill launched their last ship, the Miranda Guinness, on 9th July 1976. The Albion yard closed on 4th January 1977. The Albion Dock became a grade II listed building in December 1994.
After a period being operated by Abels Shipyard the dock is now owned by the Albion Dock Company incorporated in January 2017.